ROTARY FLAG PROGRAM

ABOUT OUR ROTARY CLUB

ROTARY CLUB OF UNIVERSITY AREA HOUSTON

Our Rotary club is part of Rotary International, the world's first service club organization beginning in 1905, with more than 1.2 million members in 35,000 clubs  in over 170 countries worldwide.  Rotary International is a NGO (Non Governmental Organization) member of the United Nations.  Rotary club members are volunteers who work locally, regionally and internationally to combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, provide education and job training, promote peace and eradicate polio under the motto "SERVICE ABOVE SELF."

The Rotary Club of Houston sponsored the Rotary Club of University Area Houston which was chartered February 26, 1946.  It was the fourth Rotary Club to be formed in Houston.  The charter was presented March 09, 1946 in the Grand Ballroom of the Rice Hotel.  The club was the first Rotary club in the US to meet at night and met on Monday evenings in the Varsity Room at Ye Olde College Inn located on Main Street about where Diagnostic Hospital is today.

During our first eight years of existence we participated with gift TV's for the VA Hospital, $8,000.00 gift for the Hedgecroft Clinic, furnished two rooms at Texas Children's Hospital, and worked the the Harris County Emergency Corps.  To help facilitate our charitable activities our Rotary Club created a 501(c)3 organization- the University Area Rotary Foundation.

By 1957 the Club meetings were held in the Trinity Episcopal Church, in 1960 we moved to Milford House then to the Warwick Hotel in 1963.  In 1982 the Club moved to the R-Room in the Rice University Stadium.  In May 2005 the club moved to the Hilton Plaza Medical Center Hotel.  In 2008 the Club moved to Hungry's Cafe & Bistro in the Rice Village shopping area.  In 2017 th club moved to it's present location and meets Wednesdays at 7:15 AM at The Herman Park Golf Club House at 2155 N. MacGregor Way at Almeda, Houston, TX 77004

The Rotary Club of University area gets its name from the several universities in the area-Rice University, University of Houston, Texas Southern University and the medical and nursing universities in the Houston Medical Center complex.

The Rotary Club of University Area Houston has sponsored five area clubs:  Bellaire Southwest Club (1956), River Oaks Club (1959), Sharpstown Club (1962), Almeda-Post Oak Club (1971) and the West U Club (1995).

All Rotary Clubs believe in "Service Above Self".  Members also practice in their lives and businesses THE FOUR WAY TEST OF THE THINGS WE THINK, SAY OR DO:

1.  Is it the TRUTH?

2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?

3.  Will it build GOOD WILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?

4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

We apply these principals to our projects locally, regionally and internationally.  To see some of our projects and other activities please visit our web site at www.rcuah.org   
Website Builder